From the inception of the Jewish nation beginning when Abram
“went forth as the Lord had spoken to him…when he departed from Haran” (Gen.
12:4), God has been both identifying, warning against, and disciplining his
covenant people with regard to false worship. God through Joshua recounts the
nation’s history and says of the beginning, “From ancient times your fathers
lived beyond the River, namely, Terah, the father of Abraham and the father of
Nahor, and they served other gods. Then I took Abraham from beyond the River…”
(Joshua 24:2-3). In fact, the Bible is replete with examples of and warnings
against false worship practices found among the covenant people of God. One
such example comes from the life and time of Manasseh, a wicked king leading
the Southern Kingdom of Judah. In 2 Chronicles 33 and the parallel account of 2
Kings 21, the Bible reveals some important truths about false worship. Through
the chronicling of Manasseh’s wickedness, God identifies at least three
underlying beliefs that promote false worship, three attitudes prevalent in
false worship, and the damaging results of false worship in the lives of His
people.
In giving an account of Manasseh’s false worship practices,
God reasserts His authority over the nation and in so doing brings a telling
accusation against His people. God has the right to judge His people because He
has authority over them and they have bucked His authority by disobedience and rejecting
worship of the Lord God only. 2 Kings 21:4 states “He built altars in the house
of the Lord, of which the Lord had said, “In Jerusalem I will put My name.” 2 Kings 21:7-8
states “Then he set the carved image of Asherah that he had made, in the house
of which the Lord said to David and to his son Solomon, “In this house and in
Jerusalem, which I have chosen from all the tribes of Israel, I will put My
name forever. And I will not make the feet of Israel wander anymore from the land
which I gave their fathers, if only they will observe to do according to all
that I have commanded them, and according to all the law that My servant Moses
commanded them.”
But God’s account of their disobedience goes beyond the
matter of authority and reveals an underlying belief problem in the hearts of
the people. Not only is God calling them to account for their actions, but He
is also saying to them, “You show by your actions that first, you believe
obedience to my law is irrelevant (“if only they will observe to do according
to…”). Second, you believe that my presence in your midst is not adequate (“In
Jerusalem I will put My name”). Third, you believe that my covenant promises
are not sufficient” (“I will not make the feet of Israel wander anymore from the land
which I gave their fathers…”).
God’s account of their idolatry also reveals at least three
attitudes prevalent in false worship. First, those engaged in false worship
will have an attitude of self-seeking pleasure. Manasseh had erected an Asherah
to coincide with his worship of Baal. The Canaanite practice of ritual
fornication is insinuated. Second, those engaged in false worship will have an
attitude of self-protecting manipulation. Manasseh was seeking to manipulate
events in his life and possibly/probably people in his life with astrology,
witchcraft, and divination. Third, those engaged in false worship will have an
attitude of self-proving extreme dedication. Manasseh went so far as to
sacrifice his own children/child to prove how dedicated he was to getting the
attention of an Amorite god.
Warnings against and the results of disobedience and
idolatry are well documented throughout the Bible. In the account of Manasseh,
three effects of false worship were evident in his kingdom. First,
unrighteousness was rampant during Manasseh’s reign. “He did evil in the sight
of the Lord, according to the abominations...” 2 Kings 21:2. “...Manasseh
seduced them to do evil more than the nations whom the Lord destroyed before
the sons of Israel.”
2 Kings 21:9. Second, injustice was rampant during Manasseh’s reign. “Manasseh
shed very much innocent blood until he had filled Jerusalem from one end to another...” 2 Kings
21:16. The final result of idolatrous false worship is calamity. “...Behold, I
am bringing such calamity on Jerusalem and Judah...”
2 Kings 21:12.
To gain a full grasp of how this account might apply to the
church, we must realize the people in Judah were still worshiping God in
form and fashion. But they were also worshiping many other gods, therein
participating in religious syncretism, or combining and reconciling different
religious thoughts such that there is no distinction in the minds or practices
of the worshipers. God through His prophet Amos rebukes Israel for the very attitude that Judah
had in Manasseh’s day. “I hate, I reject your festivals, Nor do I delight in
your solemn assemblies. Even though you offer up to Me burnt offerings and your
grain offerings, I will not accept them; And I will not even look at the peace
offerings of your fatlings. Take away from Me the noise of your songs; I will
not even listen to the sound of your harps. But let justice roll down like
waters and righteousness like and ever-flowing stream. Did you present Me with
sacrifices and grain offerings in the wilderness for forty years, O house of Israel?
You also carried along Sikkuth your king and Kiyyun, your images, the star of
your gods which you made for yourselves. Therefore, I will make you go into
exile beyond Damascus,
says the Lord, whose name is the God of hosts.” Amos 5:21-27. This proves the
point of religious syncretism. They worshiped God, and a host of other gods
too. The church is full of false worship today. And we serve the same just God,
who judged the sin of His covenant people some 2600 years ago. I believe the
church is due to either repent of false worship, or to face calamity. It is 1 Peter
4:17 which states, “For it is time for judgment to begin with the household of
God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the outcome for those who do
not obey the gospel of God?”
No comments:
Post a Comment